International / Thailand Community

Dear member and visitors,
I am currently trying to remove the unwanted banners appearing on this site, please understand and give me time.
Admin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Dear member and visitors,
I am currently trying to remove the unwanted banners appearing on this site, please understand and give me time.
Admin

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All about Thailand for tourists, expats and those who are not sure about their status..

Diplomatic relations resuming

WTF
    WTF

Diplomatic relations resuming Empty Diplomatic relations resuming

Post by WTF 24th August 2010, 8:58 pm

BKK Post.

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen has ordered the release of three Thai men arrested last week for entering Cambodian territory illegally to hunt and forage, the foreign minister's secretary Chavanond Intarakomalyasut confirmed on Tuesday.

Cambodian soldiers last Wednesday arrested three villagers from Surin - Sanong Wongcharoen, Lim Puangpet and Lan Sapsri - on charges of illegal entry and possessing firearms.

Mr Chavanond said Hun Sen has ordered the Siem Reap governor to release them. They were expected to be freed in two to three days after documentation is complete, he said.

Mr Chavanond said Thai-Cambodian relations were expected to improve now that fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra has resigned as an economic adviser to Phnom Penh.

This would lead to improved cooperation and an easing of tension along the border, he said.

PM's deputy secretary-general and acting government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said there should not be any problems with the release of the three villagers and also said bilateral relations should gradually improve.

"Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is looking to hold talks with his Cambodian counterpart Hun Sen on international stages before meeting him at the Asem [Asia-Europe Meeting] in Belgium in October," Mr Panitan said.

He said the Thai ambassador to Cambodia, Prasas Prasasvinitchai, had gone back to Phnom Penh, but the Cambodian envoy might take a couple of days to return to Bangkok.

The Foreign Ministry will explain its view on whether the resignation of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinwatra as Cambodia's economic adviser has any hidden agenda, he said.

"We [the government] still want Thaksin to return and face the judicial process in Thailand, as it could lead to national reconciliation," Mr Panitan said.

Asked why Cambodia was attempting to establish a positive relationship after it had continually criticised Thailand, he said Thai-Cambodian ties had improved steadily over the past few weeks and both countries had agreed on more issues.

"International countries also want the two countries to hold talks on the bilateral level," he said.

Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, in charge of security affairs, said he would like to thank Prime Minister Hun Sen for announcing Thaksin's resignation.

"I thank all sides for trying to improve Thai-Cambodian ties. I believe both countries can now discuss the border situation more smoothly," Mr Suthep said.

Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya said the Thai-Cambodian tensions should ease and the two countries would be able to hold talks to resolve the border dispute around Preah Vihear temple.

"All issues between Thailand and Cambodia should improve as both countries already cooperate in many areas," he said.

National Security Council secretary-general Thawil Pliensri said ties should be more positive following the reinstatement of ambassadors.

"The problems between the two countries will certainly be alleviated," Mr Thawil said.

Supreme Commander Songkitti Chakkrabat said the Thai-Cambodian rift should narrow down now that Thaksin had resigned.

"Thailand and Cambodia are neighbours and have positive ties.

"Conflicts may occur but they will not weaken our relations. Instead our relations will be strengthened," Gen Songkitti said.

Current date/time is 29th March 2024, 3:06 pm