International / Thailand Community

Dear member and visitors,
I am currently trying to remove the unwanted banners appearing on this site, please understand and give me time.
Admin

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Dear member and visitors,
I am currently trying to remove the unwanted banners appearing on this site, please understand and give me time.
Admin

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All about Thailand for tourists, expats and those who are not sure about their status..

A right point of view?

Admin
    Admin
    Admin

A right point of view? Empty A right point of view?

Post by Admin 9th August 2010, 11:23 am

Judge's marriage decision 'irrational'

Openly gay Chief US District Judge Vaughn Walker's decision to overturn voter-approved Proposition 8, that defines marriage as between one man and one woman in California, slices at the jugular of true democracy. His 138-page ruling is nothing more than an exercise in rationalising without thinking rationally. He bases his conclusion primarily on his ability to divine the "discriminatory intent" of California voters when casting their votes for Prop 8 - leaving out the possibility of his own pre-conceived bias as a gay man.

Walker's ruling illustrates that he does not understand the essential public purpose of marriage, which is to attach mothers and fathers to their children and to one another. He replaces this public purpose with the private purposes of adults' feelings and desires.

It's time to put a stop to judges who redefine our most fundamental social institutions and use liberal courts to obtain political goals they cannot obtain at the ballot box.

Kevin Tait (The Nation)

Current date/time is 19th April 2024, 10:49 pm